Comcast today announced it will expand service to approximately 6,500 homes and businesses in rural Las Vegas, N.M. Over the next year, Comcast will invest more than $9.4 million, without the use of any public funds, to bring the entire suite of Xfinity services to the Las Vegas community. Internet options will range from $9.95 per month with Comcast’s Internet Essentials program, to super-fast 1-Gigabit broadband service. Comcast previously provided video-only services in Las Vegas.
With so many New Mexicans learning and working from home, it’s never been more important to keep people connected and to improve essential opportunities for internet access,” said Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham. “I’m grateful for Comcast’s contribution to closing the digital divide. Our state will continue to address the needs of under-served New Mexicans in every community and every corner of our state.”
This expansion provides low-income families and individuals with access to Comcast’s Internet Essentials program, the nation’s largest and most successful broadband adoption initiative. Since 2011, Internet Essentials has connected 180,000 low-income New Mexicans to the power of the internet at home, many for the first time.
The City of Las Vegas welcomes Comcast’s considerable investment in our community. An investment of this magnitude will support workforce development, virtual education, overall quality of life, and greater access to high speed internet for our residents. It also improves our internet infrastructure in a way that may be attractive to businesses interested in locating or expanding their operations in Las Vegas,” said Mayor Louie Trujillo of Las Vegas. “I am grateful for Comcast’s commitment to expanding broadband access in critical areas of New Mexico like Las Vegas.”
“When Comcast operates in your community, you can count on them to provide support to local nonprofits and community organizations,” said Sarah Piano, Managing Regional Director for Big Brothers Big Sisters Mountain Region. “Comcast has been a long-standing partner and an amazing supporter of our critical mentoring work in locations across New Mexico. Comcast genuinely cares about the communities they work in and continually strives to make things better for the families within those communities. We are excited to expand our partnership to their new service area in Las Vegas and San Miguel County.”
In addition to Comcast’s internet, TV and landline phone products, residential customers in these areas will also have access to the following Xfinity services:
- xFi, unlocking the best Internet experience with reliably fast speeds, enhanced coverage, and ultimate control over the home network
- xFi Advanced Security, built into every xFi Gateway to automatically protect all devices connected to the home network
- Five lines of Xfinity Mobile service included with their internet service, with no activation or line access fees
- Xfinity WiFi hotspots, giving customers access to more than 19 million hotspots across the country to connect to while on the go
- Xfinity Flex, a simplified streaming solution for Xfinity internet-only customers with thousands of free shows and movies
- The X1 entertainment platform and award-winning voice remote
- Xfinity Stream, our streaming TV app offering thousands of Xfinity On Demand movies and shows, and access to the DVR library in home or on the go
- Peacock Premium, NBCUniversal’s streaming service with over 15,000 hours of content included for no additional cost for X1 and Flex customers
- Xfinity Home Security, a total home security and automation solution
Businesses will have access to the full suite of Comcast Business Internet, voice, and video services, including WiFi, Voice, TV and managed enterprise solutions for businesses of all sizes.
Technology is a powerful driver of innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic growth, and we recognize our company plays an important role in connecting New Mexicans to all that technology offers,” said Chris Dunkeson, Area Vice President, Comcast. “In 2019 alone Comcast invested more than $154.5 million in New Mexico including capital expenditures, taxes and fees, charitable giving, and employee wages and benefits. We’re pleased to further invest in New Mexico by expanding our network in Las Vegas.”